Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cake muffins...he has a point.

Inspiration often comes from watching my children daily and my adventures into blogging are no different.  With  three children ranging from 1 - 9 years old, I see it all.  My husband tends to look at the world a little bit differently than most people and our 5 year old son is coming up with this part of his personality as well.  Landon is an undercover secret agent/ comedian/ builder/ five year old who loves to make up his own words for things.  He is usually the trendsetter in our house, always showing up in the morning dressed up in his corduroy jacket, a hat, and flip flops or some other outfit he came up with for the day.  His outfit choices always look good, especially for a little boy.  I think he gets that great style from me.  His trendsetting also spills over into new words or slang.  This kid amazes me daily with things he says and I notice weeks later everyone starts using his words.  He is one to watch.  His latest phrases came from a couple different scenarios, which I will share, and have showed me to always look at the other perspectives in life.

  • Cake Muffins - also known as cupcakes .  I have been on a cupcake baking spree as of late and have really fired up my baking in the kitchen.  My two boys love to help me cook and this one day I was making some cupcakes for my oldest boy's class at school.  Little Land-o (our nickname for Landon now, you can add anything to the end) comes into the kitchen and asks if he can help.  I told him sure, go wash your hands to get ready.  He comes back eager to make a treat with Mom.  We started with getting all the ingredients out, bowls, and mixer.  He asks what we are making and I tell him cupcakes. Lando answers back with an oh okay and starts opening the butter.  I told him to get out the pan for the cupcakes and he sets it down and says I like making cake muffins with you Mom.  I corrected him and said no they are cupcakes sweetie.  I went back to making the cupcakes and starting up the mixer.  When we were pouring the batter into the liners, he says he likes the way the cake muffins look.  I was almost about to correct him again before I took the time to stop myself and look at his point of view.  Landon has helped me several times before in the kitchen or watched me cook.  I think a time before this I made some muffins for breakfast recently and I've always made cakes.  He associated the two and came up with a better term, in his eyes, for cupcakes.  I asked him why he was calling them "Cake Muffins"?  He replies, "Because that's cake and those (pointing at pan) make muffins."  Simple enough, point taken.  He has converted the entire house over to calling these former cupcakes now "Cake Muffins."  Those cake muffins always remind me to listen to what the little guy has to say.



2 comments:

  1. Mark says cake muffins now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See he already has changed our point of view. Lol, I love it!
      The child is genius!

      Delete